When we buy a new home we often love to have a nice flooring, a good rug or a carpet under our feet. We need something to keep our toes warm in the dead of winter or something to lay on when we play with our kids or pets. Carpets do get dirty awfully quick though and they require a good bit of care if you want to keep them looking as fresh as the day you put them in your room. The following tips will point out a few things you may do to keep them clean:
- You should buy some area rugs to lay down on your favorite carpet. If you put some of them on your carpet, then you won’t have too much of an area to clean when you’re cleaning your home. If you grow bored of their look, then you can move things around a bit for a different effect. Of course that may not always be an easy task, so you will need to consider whether you want this solution to be what you’re going for. This is especially useful if you happen to be living in a rented home, as you will create less of a mess for your landlord or other tenants that come after you.
- You must also make sure you vacuum the carpets every week or so, since a lot of things may end up on it. Hair, dust, bits of food and crumbs as well as shedding skin can be great food for dust mites. They will end up stuck between the fibers of the carpet, creating situations where your allergies may cause you distress. Find a good HEPA vacuum cleaner and use it on a regular basis to fix that.
- If you feel like you need to, you may use a carpet freshener to make your carpets have much better scent. You can let it do its magic for 15-20 minutes, then you must make sure you vacuum it completely. You don’t want to have any residue left on it as it will only make the carpet harder to clean in the long run. The freshener should not be used more often than once a month or so, never go too far with it as its scent will be too strong.
- When you have to clean specific spots on your carpet, such as the ones that happen after a spill or similar occurrences. You should blot the spot out completely with a paper towel or a regular towel, then follow that up with a wet sponge. Once that is done you will need to apply a carpet cleaner for the serious spots that simply won’t go away.
- You will need to hire a carpet cleaning company Bayswater if your carpet is simply way too dirty to deal with a few quick fixes. On the other hand you can simply rent a machine to get it done, assuming you have any knowledge of how you can get this done. You will have to move the furniture out of the room so you can get the job done, but in the end the effectiveness of what you do will depend on your own skill and machine as well. If you’re not sure what you’re doing you may want to let the professionals handle it.